As I mentioned in my previous post Lemon Cupcakes, I was baking a couple of treats to take back into work for our first day of re-opening after lockdown. To go along with the lemon cupcakes, I wanted to make a whole cake in a contrasting flavour.
I thought about a nice, classic Coffee and Walnut Cake but being as my workplace is a nursery I didn’t want to take anything with nuts in. Instead I found half a packet of Sugar and Crumbs Toffee Mocha icing sugar left over from when I made ice cream with it back in May. This, I thought would go perfectly with a coffee flavoured sponge.
I also had some chocolate sprinkles which would make a perfect alternative decoration to either walnuts or coffee cocoa beans.
CHOCOLATE MOCHA LATTE CAKE
You will need two 18cm/ 7″ diameter loose bottom sandwich tins which are greased and lined.
1 tbsp espresso coffee powder dissolved in 1 tbsp boiling water and mixed to a paste
175g Stork or softened, unsalted butter
175g caster sugar
175g self raising flour, sifted
1 tsp baking powder, sifted
3 large, free range eggs
For the icing:
100g softened butter
250g Sugar and Crumbs Toffee Mocha Icing sugar
4 tbsp hot water
Chocolate decorations or sprinkles
- Grease and line the two sandwich tins. I use pre-cut baking parchment circles bought from Lakeland as a shortcut!
- Pre-heat the oven to 180oC/ 160oC fan/ 350oF / Gas Mark 4.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a large mixing bowl until well combined.
- Spoon carefully into the tins ensuring you have an equal quantity of mixture in each tin.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes. The cake is done if it springs back when touched.
- Let the cakes cool in the tins for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- While the cake is cooling, make up the icing.
- Whisk the butter until light and fluffy. Add the icing sugar bit by bit, then add in the water. You should get a spreading consistency.
- Spread half the mixture on top of one of the cakes. Put the other cake on top of it, then spread the remaining icing on the top of that. Decorate the top with the chocolate sprinkles.
Love Sam xx