There’s nothing better than a piece of freshly baked shortbread with a cup of tea or coffee. I love baking shortbread. It’s a simple recipe but a delicious one. For my shortbread, you only need 4 ingredients plus any flavour additions. But the plain shortbread, liberally dusted with caster sugar is just perfect.
I bake my shortbread in a 23cm (9″) square loose bottomed tin like I use for my brownies and cookie bars, although if you prefer you can bake it in a circular tin of the same size! I cut it into 12 or 16 pieces depending on who they’re for or what occasion they are going to be used for.
My Favourite Shortbread Recipe.
- 250g unsalted butter (softened)
- 125g caster sugar
- 250g plain flour
- 125g rice flour or cornflour
- Pre-heat the oven to 150oC fan (160oC in a conventional oven)/ 325oF/ Gas 3.
- Grease and line your tin with baking parchment.
- Put the butter and sugar into a bowl and beat together either in a stand mixer or with a hand held mixer until the mixture is creamy and fluffy.
- Add in both types of flour to combine and bring together to form a dough.
- If you are adding any flavours to your shortbread, then add them in now so they are combined well.
- Press the dough carefully into the tin, ensuring the dough reaches all corners of the tin and that it is level. Prick the shortbread all over with a fork before putting into the pre-heated oven.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes approx. Watch out as shortbread can burn quickly!
- When you take the shortbread out of the oven, give it 5 minutes or so to cool down and then cut it into the number of pieces you require. Keep it in the tin to cool down.
- When completely cool, remove from the tin to a wire rack and sprinkle with lots of caster sugar.
There are lots of flavours you could add to the basic shortbread mixture to enhance it:
- 100g chocolate chips (dark or milk) For orange chocolate shortbread, you could add the zest of an orange with the chocolate.
- Cranberry and White Chocolate Shortbread: add 100g white chocolate chips and 75g dried cranberries
- Stem Ginger Shortbread: add 75g chopped pieces of stem ginger and 1 tsp ground ginger.
- Lemon Shortbread: add the grated zest of a lemon.
- Chopping up your favourite chocolate bars such as salted Caramel Twix (I chop up two standard twin bars) These are one of my son’s favourites.
- M&M Shortbread: use a sharing size pouch bag of the chocolate ones.
I’m sure there are lots of other shortbread flavours to discover, but these are the ones I love baking regularly. If you have any other flavour suffestions, then please do let me know.
If you are short of time or don’t like baking yourself then we can provide Shortbread to order through our Facebook page or by contacting us via email. I know I will be sending a few boxes out in the next few weeks leading up to Christmas.
Love Sam xx